Car accidents can happen in the blink of an eye. No one expects to be involved in an accident, however, you can work to prevent and prepare for an accident. While you may be shaken up and lost with what to do next, the following helpful tips can help you be prepared in the event that you or a loved one are involved in a car accident.
1. Safety is the top priority. Take the proper precautions to make sure that no greater harm occurs at the accident scene.
2. Alert the authorities. Even if it is a minor collision, pull your car to the side of the road and call the authorities. It is important to have law enforcement personnel on the scene to document and help in every instance.
3. Exchange information. Quickly gather the name, address, phone number and insurance information of the other individuals that are involved in the accident.
4. Locate witnesses. Get the contact information for anyone who may have seen or may have knowledge of the events that have occurred. Ask them to stay and give a statement to the police.
5. Document evidence. Take photos and videos of the scene of the collision and make any notes of what you see at the scene. Try and get the damage, license plates and the surrounding area.
6. Do not discuss the accident with anyone other than the police. Let the police officer determine what happened at the accident.
7. Protect your rights. Before speaking with an insurance company and saying something that you may regret, contact an attorney to make sure that all of your rights are protected and that you are properly advised on how to move forward with this situation.
An experienced attorney can help you with all aspects of your accident and they can make sure that your rights are protected. Remember, the insurance company has their own lawyers who are looking out for their best interests. It’s important that you have someone on your side to do the same.
If you or a loved one have been in a car accident, Find Lawyers for a free case evaluation and consultation. Our firm is here to protect your rights and fight for you to achieve the best outcome in your case.
Please call my Personal Injury law firm office in Westerville today to schedule a free initial consultation. Our Personal Injury lawyers handle all personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis. You don’t pay attorney fees unless we win. You can reach me by phone at 614-898-5300 , toll free from anywhere in Ohio at 877-898-HEIT or contact me via email to get started.
647 Park Meadow Rd.Suite M Westerville, OH 43081 Phone: 614-898-5300
Toll Free: 877-898-HEIT